Rice PAIR hosts several programs led by Rice volunteers. Transportation is provided for all Rice volunteers via volunteer drivers.
PAIR Global Learners
Mentor and bond with middle school refugee youth through hands-on activities and social support!
Support middle school students after-school through activities designed to promote English language acquisition, build social and emotional skills, and understand and complete schoolwork.
- Goals: Mentoring, bonding
- Target: Refugee students aged 11-14
- Volunteers: Mentoring small and large groups
- Commitment: At least one of the following days – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (4-6 pm)
PAIR Global Leaders
Work with high school refugees to prepare for post high school options!
Assist high school students after-school as they explore opportunities for their future and develop the leadership and other skills necessary to attain higher education and employment.
- Goals: Demonstrating value of higher education, imparting social, leadership, and practical skills, preparing for college apps
- Target: Refugee students aged 14-19
- Volunteers: Bonding with students by socializing, helping with homework, teaching practical skills, and answering questions about upper education and career exploration
- Commitment: At least one of the following days – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (4-6 pm)
- Optional: Saturday field trips (two community service projects and a career day).
For more detailed descriptions of PAIR programs, visit: www.pairhouston.org.